Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Orange and Poppyseed muffins (whole, dairy free)


I know, believe me, I know. Gluten, grains and sugar = bad these days. But I am not strictly paleo or gluten free. I don’t actually believe in following any kind of fad to the letter. Yes, there are messages in each that we can take with us as we go. Take the Atkins diet for example, eating good fats to lose fat – brilliant! But Mr Atkins did die of a heart attack.  And in any case, how can we assume that just because we are the same species that we are all exactly the same at a cellular level, because we’re not. We have different genders, lifestyle factors, blood types and DNA, even. Our ancestors grew up in different parts of the world, eating only the food available to them in that time and their bodies grew accustomed to such foods and thrived on them. Then, suddenly, here in today’s society we have access to foods from all over the world, out of season and, perhaps, out of place.
Which brings me back to my mantra, the only thing I know for sure; that we are supposed to eat food, only food, in its whole form and nothing to excess.
And while we’re at it, we can get smart and make food work for us. One such example of how to do this is by completing protein. That is, using a combination of nuts, seeds, legumes and grains to get all of the fatty acids necessary to sustain our bodies for longer, make us feel fuller, and fuel our systems more efficiently. As in the case with the following recipe. I have used wholemeal wheat flour, mixed with poppy seeds and orange in its whole form (I have also used rapadura sugar in place of agave, but that’s a whole other blog). So, yes, these have gluten in them, but they are undeniably closer to nature than those that are made with commercial gluten free (white rice) flours, and will be more sustaining than those made with nut meal (as the nut protein is incomplete on its own). I will experiment with this more over the coming months and no doubt come up with a grain free protein muffin, but for now, this is what I had in my cupboard, I’m eating gluten anyways and I like something sweet with my afternoon tea – so these just make sense to me.


 Orange & poppyseed muffins (complete protein, dairy free)

You will need:
2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
1 Tblsp poppy seeds
1 cup rapadura sugar
¾ cup almond milk
2 eggs
½ cup grapeseed oil
Rind and flesh of 1 orange

How to:
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line a muffin tray with 9 paper cases.
2. Combine flour, poppy seeds, orange rind and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and grapeseed oil.
4. Take the flesh of your orange and blend/macerate it using a small food processor or bar mix.
5. Add wet ingredients and orange to your flour mixture and mix well.
6. Divide mixture evenly among your cases. 
7. Bake for 25 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment