Friday, July 5, 2013

Taking back Bavarian

When we were little, the ultimate in dessert luxury for us was a Sara-Lee Chocolate Bavarian (from the frozen dessert section at the supermarket). We (my 3 brothers and I) often wouldn't even allow it to defrost before hacking at it with a carving knife and chiseling away at it with our forks. It was, of course, much better if you let it defrost so it was soft and creamy. But even still, I never liked the top white layer of cream. I found it to be watery & always suffering from freezer burn. So I'd peel off the white top and eat the chocolate & biscuit layers together first (yes, I still ate the top - it resembled ice dream & I was a relatively sugar-free child!).
Anyway - now that I'm a Mum myself, I'm all too aware of the utter shit that goes into such processed delicacies and try my best to avoid them when and if I can (I'm a work in progress myself!). So I've been experimenting with all kinds of 'cheesefakes', bean cakes & gluten free-grain free etcetera. I hadn't planned on the following recipe turning out in this way... But I can't argue with its taste & texture. It it what it is. And its the closest thing to those bottom two layers of that frozen chocolate childhood memory as my taste buds have been in a very long time.  
It's not completely raw because of the maple syrup but otherwise, you're golden. And yes, maple syrup has fructose so its not sugar free - I don't care. Dessert - sweetness, even, is not intended to be an everyday indulgence, that is becoming painfully clear. Maple syrup is still better than agave, table sugar, stevia and has a lower glycemic index than honey. It's also additive, gluten & grain free as well as vegan, so over all, it's winning! 

(Mini) Chocolate Bavarian-style fake, featuring raspberries  



You will need: 
Baking paper
A 10cm round springform cake tin 
1/2 cup frozen raspberries 
1/3 cup cacao powder 
2 ripe Hass avocados
1/2 cup pure maple syrup 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut oil 
A pinch of sea salt
For the base;
1/2 cup pitted dates 
1/2 cup pecans 

How to: 
1. Line your cake tin with baking paper and set aside 
2. Blend your pecans & dates until they resemble a rough, sticky sand. Press this
Mixture into the bottom of your tin. 
3. Next, blend all of your remaining EXCEPT your raspberries, until smooth and creamy. 
4. Fold in your raspberries & pour this mix in the tin, on top of your base. 
5. Refrigerate for 2 hours (or freeze until set). 

Viola!

With love
Angela  
www.facebook.com/theoroginaloccupation 



No comments:

Post a Comment